If I don't sweat the small stuff then how...



If I don't sweat the small stuff how does it stay small. I mean when people lose control over what seems minor it is usually something other than the actual offense. For example nearly every remote in my house is missing the back where the batteries go, my best scissors the only scissors in the house that were not made for children have disappeared. A simple act of putting away the very item being used is much more complicated than it sounds since I either do it myself or attempt to patiently remind the user. This does include my husband as well as the 7 children in my home daily.
Yet, in all that and much more that is not even worth listing there are other small things worth sweating. Tonight upon arriving home from dance/tae kwon do errands a great song was playing in the car. Rather than turn it off prematurely I let it play while unloading the groceries. My littlest daughter ran to me screeching mommy in that excited voice only a small child can muster. We began to dance, yes right there next to the car humidity and all. #2 older daughter joined and we laughed, twirled and acted otherwise ridiculous according to any onlookers. Eventually the commotion captured the boys curiosity who took one look at us an bailed. Boys, unless under 5 tend to shy away from this kind of dancing. Husband/Daddy shook his head at the silliness and gathered the remaining items, heading promptly back indoors. After the 2nd song we turned shut the van doors and headed inside too.
Course, foreign to me the kids are attempting the beat up Daddy routine in the middle of the living room floor. I can't help but smile at the teamwork they are mustering. Too many little things to keep track of happens over and over. In the mid morning I am less aware of the good stuff but thankfully this is usually my reflection of the day. I know I have mentioned this type of thoughts more times over but how can I not revel in it all.
As I walked into a store tonight with my firstborn whose head is at my shoulders I felt that foreboding. This time is ever so short. I want to never forget, I want to hold on as long as I can. I want to hold on to the lasts. Check out the book Let me hold you longer by Karen Kingsbury. I will end with a quote.
One day you will move away and leave me to your past, And I will be thinking of a lifetime of your lasts...The last time that I lifted you and held you on my hip, The last time when you ran to me, still small enough to hold, I never said good-bye to all your yesterdays long passed. So what about tomorrow-will I recognize your lasts? The last time that I comb your hair or stop a pillow fight. The last time that I pray with you and tuck you in at night. The last time I cuddle with a book, just you and me. The last time you jumped in our bed and sleep between us two. I look ahead and dream of days that haven't come. But as I do, I sometimes miss today's sweet precious lasts....

Comments

  1. gee thanks for making me cray at work elizabeth!! LOL. very sweet and yeah when you have boys those lasts seem to come so much sooner.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Valentines, Boys and food

Piglet strikes again...

Dad in charge