Knitting Cousins

Considering I have 6 Aunts and Uncles on one side of my family and 2 on the other you would think I have many cousins. For more reasons than worth explaining here I actually only have 6, 3 of which are my children's age. This means growing up in my big family I was one of only 4 children. I do consider myself closer to my extended family than most people I meet. Yet this closeness stopped just short of cousins. Well, that is until a few years ago.
My mother's oldest sister had one child. She is 11 years older than me, and my only cousin on that side. We spent time together when I was a young child but because of the age difference she headed off to college, got married etc,then I graduated from High School, got married finished college myself and we didn't talk much along the way. But, when suddenly my Aunt (her mother) had to be moved to an assisted living facility all that changed. For that I am very thankful.
Currently she lives in DC where she flies in a couple times a year to visit her mother, and also my family. My husband, myself and youngest daughter even headed out there for our 10th wedding anniversary a year or so ago. Gracious hosts, and glorious girl chats, along with museums made for an unforgettable vacation.
When I mark the calendar with her visit the kids are elated. Not only is the time to catch up in person wonderful, but the times her husband stays behind we are even blessed with her as a house guest. Most people that know me are aware I am rarely burdened by hosting. In fact I long to share the blessings we have with others. This past weekend was one of those beloved times.
DC was hit with a huge snowstorm closing their airport, causing her visit to increase by 2 extra days. Then, as if to be another small miracle my kids had a snow day of their own giving us some true quality time together. We chatted, she patiently played games, endured the trials of being in a house full of active far from quiet kids and generally enjoyed the great company. She even taught #2 how to knit. It takes a special person to teach a young child something like that. Unfortunately, as with all good things there must be an end, yet I am not sad.
I always felt that being an only child meant that I would never know what it felt like to have a sibling, to have someone who understood your life in real time not just from your own description. A person who knew the dark less appealing parts of your life which you don't share but effect who you are today. I thought that I would remain alone in that part of my life forever. But you know what this weekend has taught me...that it turns out I didn't need a sibling after all. In this case, when we are both all grown up cousin actually equals friend.
Comments
Post a Comment