Sleep and random thoughts..

(PS this was written Sat night, though I am at dispatch right now but it isn't quite that late)
As soon as children can walk, and talk they begin to appreciate the time spent awake and apart of the world. The stimulation from opportunites at hand encourage a drive to never stop, never give in. Some people are affected more or less by this inner drive.

A large portion of the mothers I know are snuggled in bed fast asleep right now. Outside the air is cold, the wind bitter and the sky dark with night. It is 1:40am. Yes folks, I am awake. My fingers move across the keys in order to keep my body awake. I am saving lives and protecting property, LOL.
Those of you in the emergency field know that this is a common joke of what firefighters, paramedics, police officers, and in this case with myself, dispatchers are doing by just being at work being available to respond. I move from task to task accomplishing much without the constant interruption of children. Oh sure, I give a unit information about the call they are responding to, follow up information to be documented once they are there etc. Yet those interruptions seem to be less distracting, less daunting from the thought process of my mind.

Sure I am tired. I had my first need for sleep a few hours ago. The solution for that was to move about the room, make some popcorn to avoid too many useless calories but munch. Then I got the second wind. Really this is simply misinformation of my mind to my body that I am no longer tired and could continue at such a pace. In this time I completed the transposing of my handwritten heavily scribbled across journal dated back to Joey’s 2nd year up until present day. It is my hope to put all the years past, current and future into book form so when each of my kids have their first child it is a special gift. As they experience the ups and downs of parenting they can read about those same moments from their childhood, reminisce about those carefree days. I would never have completed this task at home. Yes, this lack is counterproductive. I accomplish things I would not otherwise get done but I must take away from my very basic needs to do so. It is quiet interesting that in every day life this falls true for many. You must give to get, you must choose. Choices lie in every moment every situation.
Ahhh Pause for this 911 break……

Alright, problem resolved ambulance arrived. Calls do seem to come in three’s..oops make that 4…..5….

Where was I? Oh sleep, yes sweet sleep. When 2am finally arrives I shall head out the door and attempt to remain awake long enough to drive home. Navigating a vehicle under the umbrella of sleep deprived is difficult. It is the music that gives me success. The music that heals my heartache, that knows my pain, shares my joy, my elation. This beloved friend will carry me there. The transition from bright to dark, from room with talking people to house with everyone asleep will calm my thoughts and the still of it all will bring what I am lacking …………rest.

Well that is until I do it all again 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Valentines, Boys and food

Piglet strikes again...

Dad in charge