The smell of the rain
Bright light fills the room,and pitter patter of water spilling from leaf to leaf eases me into a new day. One window is open enough to cool the room, the warmth where my now gone to work husband still on his side of the bed. My eyes scan the room getting my bearings from the deep sleep I just left. I take a long whiff closing my eyes to capture the comforting scent of rain. In it I feel God's love like a little girl in a story I recently read claimed.
For a moment I jump up unsure of the day of the week, quikly calm rushes over reminding me it is in fact Saturday. I rest my head back on the soft welcome pillow until I realize this day is filled with places to be things to do and it is in fact 7:45am. I smile as I make the bed 7:45 is VERY late for me, but rubbing my eyes I secretly wish for just a little more.
The house is quiet, unusual to have no signs of life from those I share my home. Of course, I did turn the baby monitor off after rocking a crying 2 year old at 5am. I tiptoe out of my room, down the short hall and find the boys are up, watching tv ever so quiet. They look over startled by my sudden presence and I nod in agreement. They look at me deer in the headlights like, then turn back to Phineas and Ferb. It is then I notice the littlest girl yelling for me in her room. Yes, now it all comes together.
Later that day, I spend about an hour in the school I used to teach. When I entered the building and walked down the longest hallway I caught a whiff. It was of glue and paint, pencils shavings,construction paper, chalk, dry erase marker and much much more. It was days gone by wonderful and sad. It was time well spent. Growing up from a mom of one needy little boy, to 3 beautiful kids. It was a young woman determined to have her dreams, fighting against her own demons within and the challenge of marriage and more. It was the turning point of my life. In those moments I scanned the walls, I heightened my awareness of each ordered steps. I relished the past. I wasn't bitter of the changes and the way it didn't feel like home. I understood why I had walked away allowing God to close that door. I had come full circle in who I am, and what I need to be. I enjoyed a few hello Mrs. Colbert's from the small remaining parents I know. I watched my own kids play right along the new faces. This place isn't the end,as it felt when I chose to leave. It was the beginning. Funny how time can allow you to see the difference.
The smell of the rain lingered too as my middle children took their ball pictures next. I even enjoyed a few more Mrs.Colbert how are you from aging children I once taught. I chatted, caught up all the while keeping my eye on the prize, 4 kids by my side. We walked to the car in the same rain. Each of them complaining about the interruptions from outside play, and cancelled games. I drove along never losing my grin.
There is so much to be seen, heard and felt. I wish I could stop and smell the rain like this a little more often. I suppose when you allow life to slow down you can have these moments. My life is rarely this slow but I am thankful for this window. As you read this the next place you go, or the next time it rains, stop and smell...
Noted - I will stop and smell the rain. And oddly enough Saturday it showered very briefly as we walked from a restaurant to the ceremonies and I did stop and take notice of the smell. We were in the same place for a moment, though we were thousands of miles apart :).
ReplyDelete