A little bit of June Cleaver and a little bit of country

I should have taken a picture. Today in the spirit of working days ahead I dressed in a knee length skirt and perfectly matching shirt (not tacky matchy matchy). Accessories made the whole deal tasteful and stylish lending several compliments and a regret that I did not save such for my interview tomorrow. Needless to say I was quite comfortable hanging at the fire station with hubby on day 2 of his 3 day in a row shift. Upon arriving home I recalled all that I forgot to dread.... fresh vegetables screaming CAN ME..COOK ME.
Taking a deep sigh aware that my day would not be as relaxing and bonding as planned I dug in. Before I could get terribly far in the process my daughter (elder one) decided she is going to remove "baby" from her room. Prompted by the changes in her little bro's room she is ready for her turn. Downstairs she heads to weed out the little kids books and basically "anything not 8 year old girl like" her words not mine, must go. Losing my only person of interest I am now in the kitchen alone.
I have heard discussion about how the right clothes can make you feel better about yourself and that must have rung true because I was uninterested in changing, removing my jewelry yes, changing no. Feeling a bit like June Cleaver I grabbed one of the many aprons I own. Who knew they would be of use more than dress ups? It must have been a magical step because swift like a eagle to its prey I grabbed ingredients, bowls, utensils and more. I was grating zucchini, sifting flour, boiling dill pickle mix and more. Still true to my self I managed to take a picture of all things set out, and then another at completion. Not only that but I ran short on vinegar for the pickling and made due with extra water. I am notorious for my lack of attention to detail in the kitchen. Often it burns me but every once in awhile like this it works out ok. Oh, and I did in fact put a bit of sugar in the wrong bowl but it all ended up together so that too was forgotten. Pleased with the end product I took an after photo.
Notice that there are 2 pizzas in the mix. Yep all that June behavior left me nothing for making a real dinner for my children and by now the extra one (Annabeth's friend who is unexpectedly sleeping over). Alas, 5 happy kids and one proud momma make for a good time.
By now the time is 6:15 and I have yet to clean out the chicken coop or the duck house. Typically I do these things every other day for a grand total of 15 or 20 minutes but it has been 3 days so it too must be attended to. I reluctantly change from outfit and into my work clothes. Now I need a missing piece of straw to chew on, cowgirl boots and hat for this next role. I really don't mind that work, I enjoy having chickens. It only took nearly 12 years of marriage to finally get my wish. I simply cannot wait for some fresh eggs! Tossing some food out to the catfish, bass and blue gill in the pond with the assistance of #4 and G made for a complete evening. The smell of cinnamon wafting up the steps when we reentered some time later made it all worth it! My kids will never know there is vegetables in their cinnamon bread. Oh and believe me this is one thing I cook that people request extra to take home!
Reflecting on the day a bit remorseful that it did not turn out with some special family bonding that too was redeemed. #1 politely entered the kitchen and was backing away saying, " Never mind your busy" while I was putting away the bread. I pounced like a kitten a new toy and said why. He wanted to know if I would play the wii with him. Regardless of the fact that I do not really enjoy video games I know my son loves them so I said sure and dropped everything. #3 rounded it out and we stayed up too late too. BUT, my losing proved useful because those boys beat me gracefully and attempted to find a game I could succeed at. I guess I have done something right after all!


Comments

  1. I would have loved photo documentation of your coordinated ensemble. Glad you had a good day despite the change in plans. Looks like you got lots accomplished. Love you Cleaver Country girl!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Valentines, Boys and food

Piglet strikes again...

Dad in charge