the things that happen when you turn OFF the tv



It is no secret that my oldest son is addicted to all electronics. That is the term used in my house to sum up tv, computer and all game systems. #2 will watch some here and there but self regulates well. #3 can go either way, enjoying the outdoors a great deal but getting sucked in to the tv world too. The jury is still out on #4.
After school in a predictable moment #1 was unkind to #3. This unkindness caused for a natural consequence of removing distractions that cause him to "forget" how to treat people. I imagine next time he will not use that excuse.
#1 has long been a leader in most situations, making suggestions and others readily follow. A normal school night post dinner would include tv and computer for the boys but consequence be as it may grand leader had other plans. Exercise.
During dinner the topic of weight, and Eva's friend AA being equal to or more than #3. Someone said if #2 isn't careful he will surpass her. The scale was retrieved ending with her weight of roughly 44 pounds. This puts 1 at 68, 3 at 38 and 4 at 24. AA's weight is yet to be determined. The solution to preventing this "catching" up was to exercise. #3 takes his shower in the hopes of spending the night with G uninterested in the time wasting distraction. This takes away the 3 is a crowd phenomenon I know too well.
Alright... they began with making laps around the living room and through the kitchen. After that became tiring they weighed themselves again, shocked that neither 1 or 2 had lost any weight. I was asked to give a suggestion for the next idea which was running up and down the stairs. #1 attemped but quickly aware that this posed a large challenge to endurance, said they needed to do only 10 reps. They continued their efforts downstairs, sometime #1 taking off his shirt. #2 always interested in putting her swimsuit on made a request, I conceded.
A funny thing happened, #4 also wanted to change. Swimsuits are all together in one drawer requiring a bit of sorting. I am not sure what made her decide that she did not want her swimsuit but Bubba's as she put it. The shorts were Joey's last year, and handed down to bubba. Who can argue with that little redhead for this? Not me, so I assisted in the changing of pants. Off the girls headed, part 2 of exercise began.
Like any mom I waited, listening for the ruckus, camera in hand. A voice yelled Mommy can I use the ladder on my bed to exercise. I shout back, yes but please go slow and be careful. Hindsight being 20/20 I should have clarified how the ladder was to be used. Tiptoeing down the steps and around the corner, snapping a picture before I even knew what I was looking at. Ah, the ladder was a weight. Yep, my oldest son may not love trucks, and all things manly but he is still a boy! #2 did the girl thing once paparazzi arrived, a handstand followed by back bend including reverse push ups.
Now, an hour into the activities tactics have changed. Once the scale revealed little weight to be lost a new plan was devised. Build a club house out of couch cushions and pillows seemed less taxing. Each has their own creation, stuffed animals as guests. They are even working on a smaller one for Eva, mostly so they can keep her out of theirs. Fun times at the Colbert's! I shall remain nearby listening, smiling and reveling in the innocence and discovery of it all. I just fielded the mommy can I sleep in my clubhouse question, figuring it is the last week of school very little new information learned right? Good thing Daddy isn't here, I pick battles differently than him. He would have answered no quickly and without thought, whereas I took a moment to weigh the options and figured why not.
I love watching them grow, their minds working, knowledge imparting. These days are numbered I am so very aware. I am so very blessed. Money can provide the walls I live under but it isn't money that makes these kind of memories. Let me hold on to this a little longer!
What creative, fun, energetic ideas they came up with. Love the sentiments of the last paragraph.
ReplyDelete