Worms Fireflies and Turtles
As the Missouri weather phenomenom is kicking in there are many new things to see. The grass is greener and longer, the sky bluer, trees and flowers filled out and beautiful. Along with those very normal, common sights there are less obvious ones too.
Rainy days recently plagued the area leaving kids even more ancy from looming summer and being trapped indoors. Yet the first day that sun fills the air I notice a much smaller occurance. Worms, yep that is what I said...worms. Along my gravel driveway on either side there are worms lined up. Many are dead, yet a select few are still inching along in some instinctive attempt to cross the road and find shelter among the dirt. My crazy mind begins to soar between goofy redneck style jokes and some deep seated meaning of their trek. Either way I am certain I have never paid any attention to such a thing.
In the evenings when the sun has finally set you can watch the fireflys (lightning bugs) dance. They almost have a pattern, as if trained for this special time. I watch them nearly feeling the rythm they create, imagining the instruments that could accompany their ritualistic attempt to find a mate.
The sudden increase in humidity and heat brings about pop up storms and showers. Lightning flashes over and over across the night sky, thunder even heard a time or too. I am certain there is a soul who hasn't been impressed by that earthly show.
Warmer weather, wet ground and rain also contribute to one more common sight, turtles crossing the road at every bend. My kids debate the meaning of each one, sometimes funny others sweet. As for me, I have one overall thought. How exactly can a person be aware of these things and more, yet say there is no God? How is it fathomable that any man, being or cell molded each and every detail that makes up this earth? Nope, it just is not possible. My God created all things according to his riches and mercy. I too am one of those things and maybe just maybe I should stop and notice stuff like this a little more often!
Rainy days recently plagued the area leaving kids even more ancy from looming summer and being trapped indoors. Yet the first day that sun fills the air I notice a much smaller occurance. Worms, yep that is what I said...worms. Along my gravel driveway on either side there are worms lined up. Many are dead, yet a select few are still inching along in some instinctive attempt to cross the road and find shelter among the dirt. My crazy mind begins to soar between goofy redneck style jokes and some deep seated meaning of their trek. Either way I am certain I have never paid any attention to such a thing.
In the evenings when the sun has finally set you can watch the fireflys (lightning bugs) dance. They almost have a pattern, as if trained for this special time. I watch them nearly feeling the rythm they create, imagining the instruments that could accompany their ritualistic attempt to find a mate.
The sudden increase in humidity and heat brings about pop up storms and showers. Lightning flashes over and over across the night sky, thunder even heard a time or too. I am certain there is a soul who hasn't been impressed by that earthly show.
Warmer weather, wet ground and rain also contribute to one more common sight, turtles crossing the road at every bend. My kids debate the meaning of each one, sometimes funny others sweet. As for me, I have one overall thought. How exactly can a person be aware of these things and more, yet say there is no God? How is it fathomable that any man, being or cell molded each and every detail that makes up this earth? Nope, it just is not possible. My God created all things according to his riches and mercy. I too am one of those things and maybe just maybe I should stop and notice stuff like this a little more often!
Awesome blog Elizabeth!!
ReplyDelete