Music is in the air


I absolutely LOVE music. I can close my eyes and be lost in another world far far away with incredible songs. When listening to upbeat, fast music my heart pounds just a bit harder and my feet tingle forcing me to fight the urge to run a marathon. More than once I have pushed past the mental hurdle of wishing to stop exercising with just the right song. My husband thinks it is more than absurd that a single song causes me to want no need to run. Many times I have stopped all things to burn excess adrenaline. An emotional slow song speaking to the depths of my past can bring tears to my eyes, or warm my heart. Late at night in my room alone it is the music the lulls me to sleep, or strengthens my sadness, encourages my plotting or brings me at peace with the stirring of planning.
As a young girl I remember taking my Walkman and contraband tapes, (since I was not allowed to listen to secular music), to the field behind our house which is now a high school. I would dance, walk and twirl with my arms out like the sound of music. In those times I felt free from whatever challenges were at hand. Other times I would put on high heels and use a blush brush to sing in my room, imagining being on stage. My eyes closed and my heart spewing the heavy words out for all to see. When I first moved out of my parent's home I was interrupted multiple times sitting too close to the radio, eyes tightly shut belting out tunes. That person we'll call D clearly felt I had gone mad. Yes, even my husband and kids blankly stare at my obsession when it rises to the surface. Though now my oldest daughter seems to share such fantasies through a cracked door I take note.
I refrain from letting this side of me rear its head regularly now. Grownups must indulge less in their selfish pleasures. Yet, on certain dark nights alone in my room, not a whisper to be heard throughout the house, I still partake. Especially on a solo drive in the car home from dispatch when the streets are empty and the rest of the world is asleep. You can find me there, radio cranked louder than the manufacture intended. Possibly, parked in the garage, door shut and engine off lost in that place. The cold winter or hot summer temperatures combined with the lateness of the hour and sleep weighing on my body force me to accept reality as it is. To turn the key, open the door and walk inside. In those moments too I hear the rhythmic breathing of my sleeping man, cat curled on my pillow. I tiptoe to each child's room kissing their foreheads and straightening covers, checking the locks. I reflect on all that I once was thanks to the music at hand, and how much I have to glorify God for today. Yes, folks it is music that heals my soul. In fact right now today here is a few selections screaming my name to get lost in, all very different but either my thoughts or my dreams:

Can Anybody Hear Me by Meredith Andrews
Gimmie That Girl by Joe Nichols
Glitter in the Air by Pink

If you haven't heard them before, well you should. If you have then just stop and revel in the words sung. Listen to each and reflect yourself. You might find something interesting happens to you too.

Comments

  1. Guess which song I hadn't heard? So glad you find time to rejuvenate yourself with music.
    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. if we had known each other when we were kids I bet we'd have been best friends. I love to sing and yes I crank it on the way home from work. I will sing out my fears, frustrations, pain, hope and happiness. One of the things I love most about church is the singing, and I was in church and school choir for forever!
    Keep belting it out Elizabeth maybe one day you'll be the next American Idol!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ummm song #2 Amy :)
    Wrainbeau I am beginning to agree very much with our common traits! Course, I will never be the next American Idol. How about momidol, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. MOMIDOL I love it we should totally make this the next SLM award..lol.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Valentines, Boys and food

Piglet strikes again...

Dad in charge