Zebra's and school projects


I have long felt that being a teacher is very different once you have children. To say you understand a parents life when you are not one is a flat out lie. You can never understand what is like to be responsible for another person's life, for their future. At some point they must do it themselves but equipping them in their own personal bent is unlike any other caretaking their ever could be! It is a team effort and having outside eyes like teachers can be a blessing, or sometimes a struggle. I assure you I am a changed teacher from this point on!
Having said that...be aware I now have a 4th grader a 2nd grader, K and not yet preschooler. The assignment books, home to school communication papers, schedule, lunch money and on gets CRAZY! They are in two different school right now but just 3 more years will be in 3 schools for the duration of time I have kids in school. Whew, I think I am getting dizzy just typing that! That is another rant for another day, as in having 4 kids meant so much more than I really understood back then. One post at a time:)
Anyway, my kids school has a big habitat/life cycle project that they traditionally require in 2nd grade. This sounds fine and dandy as a teacher maybe. Heck it sounds somewhat reasonable as a parent except they do absolutely zero for it at school. I never would assign a project for home only because of the obvious lack of support some kids have. At least when you plan on counting it equal to one whole test grade. Nevertheless here we are the night before it is due (have had it for 3 weeks) and finishing up one small but imperative piece, the animals.
My daughter like her brother picked their favorite animal (giraffee for #1, zebra for #2). My oldest already had collected plenty of giraffes so that was little effort. #2 on the other hand does not own ANY toy zebras that will fit in a shoe box habitat. I'm not sure if any of you have ever looked for zebras in the store but not something easy to find without a large investment. I then decided lets just print some off the Internet, increase the size so their are 3 sizes/ 3 stages in its life cycle. HA! This sounds much simpler than it in fact is. Actually I am here posting/complaining to you about it than actually doing it. Yes, she should help but PLEEEEEASE think about how painful that process would be. I will do that part. She has done everything else all by herself with a teensy bit of my coaching. Kudos for her, because #1 required a bit more help.
I needed a nap Sat (yes for a rare time I actually was willing to take one too). She was working on it in my room, and I was so tired I told her to go ahead and finish while I shut my eyes for a bit. 2 hours later I wake and find she completed the entire habitat. All American Girl title seems yet another notch of truth for her. I couldn't have been more proud!!
A diversion of deer hunting assistance for me left it being finally complete at 7:45pm. Oh yes nothing like cutting it down to the wire. Ah, school projects are a right of passage I suppose. Something to sit around the fire and discuss the crazy old days. Something to make a parent loathe school too. I sure thought I would be imparting the knowledge to my children not learning as much if not more all along the way. It brings a new meaning to the phrase learn something new everyday!!

Comments

  1. She and her Zebra habitat are too cute. So proud of her for her efforts.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Valentines, Boys and food

Piglet strikes again...

Dad in charge