lions, tigers and BEARS oh my!

If you have ever spent any time with my oldest son you would know that he is moved by fear of certain things. Tornadoes were the first of such fears which to this day require his blinds AND shades to be pulled at night. It isn't that he feels one could come anytime (for the hours of factual research has taught him when and how) but the dreams that the dark outside inspire.
There was also a short period of time when he was concerned about land sharks. He once said we could never go to Florida because they lived there. Oddly enough we are headed there in Sept. I dare not remind him of this fact. However he has expressed concern for getting in the ocean so we shall see. But this past weekend has added another outdoor concern to his list, bears.
A friend of ours lives in Defiance area and had recently found bear tracks in the snow at his house. He took some impressive pictures of these tracks running a long distance on his property. In talking with my husband about them he commented that there has also been talk about a black bear being sited within the nearby area as well. Mistakenly this exchange of information occurred while riding in the car so #1 was all ears. Funny how kids can hear exactly what you are saying sometimes, and nothing at all during others.
He popped in with several questions, worried that we might in fact have bears too of which Dad cleared the air. A basic explanation of the difference between grizzly bears and black bears resulted in some Internet research and origin of home etc. I felt this subject has safely been put to rest but alas not #1. His mind really never forgets things like this. So yesterday the family (minus Daddy who was at Fire Station but plus G) went on a nature walk competing to pick up the most trash and enjoy the 60ish degree weather. While in the back field bears came up once again. It lasted a short while. A bedtime though the reality of his wheels spinning kicked in and the fear of it all reared its ugly head.
"Where do bears walk?" #1
"They look for food mostly I guess." me
"Would it come in our house?" #1
"No, they don't want to be near people. It will not try to come to our house, or even be near us." me now aware that he is really concerned about his safety I spend time explaining that bears do not regularly live here and the one spotted was just passing through.
"Where do grizzly bears live then?" #1
"In places like Montana, you know where Amy lives." me
"Why do they attack people?" #1
Firmly now, "They attack people who are walking or camping in the woods to get their food. They do NOT seek people out to attack them, especially in their houses." me
"So it wouldn't come here?" #1
"No, it will not break through the concrete walls or the glass just to get you. You are not the food it wants." me
"Well.....ok." #1
I prayed over him despite the fact that we had already had family prayer time then said goodnight. But after I left his room I had that tug on my heart that told me I needed to go back. Assuring someone doesn't stop their mind from spinning endlessly. I empowered him to repeat the scripture God has not given me a spirit of fear but of sound mind several times in the hopes that when he begins to get worked up he will take control. He curled up and relaxed a bit and then I once again kissed him goodnight.
So funny how he seems so big often, not hugging or playing with me but then this speaks volumes that he in fact still a boy not yet a man. I love that kid, crazy wild roller coaster mind and all!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Valentines, Boys and food

Piglet strikes again...

Dad in charge