lefts, wrongs and a few rights along the way

Go lefty!

 School and siblings may have led my naturally heading towards being a lefty to the Right land of life but there is one place they haven't managed to infect..... baseball. I noticed it the last few times we played that she would use her left more than her right but today it was constant. She maintained her glove on the right and threw with the left as accurate as any 3 year old is (50/50). When it came time to hit she couldn't seem to understand batting right handed and I finally stopped sister from helping to flip her around. Wallah! She hit the first ball. I will say I was proud, snickered because lefty Aunt Lisa whom she already adores would love it and then bummed because this may mean I will have to buy a new pink glove for a lefty. No worries, I will hold off on that to see where she really ends up but either way is at that innocent adorable even in the worst of times stage.

As for the older bunch... well the age of accountability has arrived. I have had enough of interruptions, talking over, and out and out rude behavior. The sad things is this stuff seeps in over time and I take part of the blame. Making children aware that life isn't fair and people do get treated differently for a multitude of reasons is all part of this gig called parenthood. I have been lax. But not anymore friends, nope not anymore. Instead I have brought out the big guns, as in the newest system which gets to the heart of the problem and makes them sweat it out when they forget. No not a painful process that instills shame and fear but of reflection and intention. What is it you ask? Push ups. Good old fashioned push ups is the technique. You see for those of you with small children or no children I get it if you scoff. I was like you way back then. I felt yes ma'am and no sir went right along with crazy things people did in the kids are to be seen not heard days. But well I have had a change of heart. You see I don't know it all about raising kids. Shocker to some I am sure ;) I may play the roll of super mom pretty well but that only works when its a been there done that day. These days and the ones in my not so distant future remind me that being a good parent is listening to my Heavenly Father first and being led not by my mind or ideas but his, well that and thinking on my feet when he prompts. Boys they are an unique breed that I am uncertain of often. They are physical beings whether a mans man or not. To get to their heart under all the other stuff you must move them in a physical way stimulating the mind goes hand in hand. Revelation for me I tell ya! Plus the way I figure it if it doesn't work they will all get strong in the process as #1 had 16 push ups to do today. It takes #2 the words 1 push up to straighten up, #3 about 3 or 4. #1 it took him 7 to stop arguing, explaining and negotiating his reasons for disobeying PLUS not stomp, cry or murmur under his breath. News flash people I am NOT deaf and do hear that when 5 feet from me, SHOCK. LOL
This is what I remember of days with just 2 kids.
Best buds!
Anyway, he has really come so far in his social abilities. Plus he has learned the hard knocks of life don't mean it all sucks mostly. I am quite proud of the man he is growing into...but my work, God's work isn't done yet. Lord do help me when it comes to #4 because she sure does take the cake on them all with her smirk, obvious disobedience and laughter when disciplined. Uh huh, I remember doing just that to my mother but I was older than she. I digress.... for now.....
Lastly in the spirit of repentance something special happened today. #1 and #2 took communion. We are nondenominational Christians which means we believe only the Bible. We dedicate our babies to God (promise to raise them in his ways) because we feel to be baptized is a personal decision you make when you are old enough to commit your own life to God. We do not require a certain number of classes to become an "adult" or whatever it is in the church not that I don't think there has to be more to learning about God then Sundays. We also do not take communion weekly or monthly. We explain what it is before taking it on the chance there are those who don't know and we take it VERY seriously as most churches do. I sat with my kids making sure they fully understand the symbolism they have heard before, gave them a choice to do or not do and they each did. I watched as they bowed their head and prayed quietly in reverence when we each spent a moment getting right with God. I saw before me my first babies taking grownup steps in their walk with God. I could not have been prouder. I did think about taking a picture with my camera phone but then thought this is the rare time when it isn't necessary. I don't need a scrapbook page for everything. This moment was so special it deserved to be left on its own.
On the drive home I tried to capture the sights, the timing of things in relation so I would never forget the pieces. Isn't funny how you just know what will cross your mind years from now. Life is good, even in the bad economy my life is just perfect!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Valentines, Boys and food

Piglet strikes again...

Dad in charge